the hamiltonian fellowship program
...serves as a steppingstone for emerging visual artists who have finished their academic training and are looking to transition into a professional art career. Inspired by the post-doctoral education model of the sciences, the fellowship program seeks to create a stimulating environment for continued artistic and professional growth.
Through a comprehensive suite of professional exhibition opportunities and hands-on, skill-building trainings, all Hamiltonian Fellows gain valuable insight into the contemporary art market, while learning how to manage and promote their career. Through gallery exhibitions and art fairs, they enjoy heightened visibility and actively grow their professional networks over the course of the two-year program.
Hamiltonian is committed to providing professional exhibition and development opportunities to all artists for the entire duration of their fellowship. In return, fellows are expected to participate in a core set of activities and are asked to take full advantage of the various resources provided to via the fellowship and Hamiltonian Gallery.
For the duration of their tenure, all fellows will receive gallery representation from Hamiltonian Gallery. Should a fellow decide to move on to other artistic opportunities or receives representation with another commercial gallery during his or her term, Hamiltonian Artists reserves the right to offer the fellowship position to an alternate candidate.
The Hamiltonian Fellowship program provides each artist with a set of professional development opportunities and critical resources that are designed to help each artist advance their career and artistic practice. Fellows are expected to take active roles in the professional development, as well as that of the other fellows in the program while also contributing to the DC art community at large.
as a hamiltonian fellow you will receive…
- Representation by our partner, Hamiltonian Gallery, for the full duration of your fellowship.
- Annual focus exhibitions at Hamiltonian Gallery.
- Annual group exhibitions at Hamiltonian Gallery and various off-site locations.
- Access to mentor artists for advice on planning upcoming exhibitions and other professional needs.
- Mentor led group critiques for all exhibiting artists.
- Regular seminars in art and business with leaders in the community.
- An annual $1,000 stipend to cover career related expenses to help defray exhibition and travel expenses to encourage artistic experimentation and support other career-oriented breakthroughs.
- Potential participation in national and international art events and fairs.
- Grant-writing experience and assistance.
- Hands-on experience in the marketing and promotion of their work in a commercial gallery environment.
- Post-fellowship placement assistance for artists looking for representation in other commercial galleries and positions in other art-related jobs.
all hamiltonian fellows are expected to …
- Participate in monthly critiques and planning sessions for group exhibitions.
- Attend Fellowship program seminars and lectures.
- Give an artist talk in conjunction with their focus exhibition at Hamiltonian Gallery.
- Participate in the mentor program by engaging with at least one mentor artist.
- Utilize the gallery space at least one time during their tenure to plan an event with community involvement, such as a panel discussion, art performance, or workshop.
- Attend other art shows in the area and participate in group discussion afterward.
- Participate in the gallery and fellowship operations by taking an active role in the planning, promotion, and set-up of gallery exhibitions.